HOWARD COMMUNITY COLLEGE
Tuesday, May 19, 2015 at 2:00pm
APPLY TO GRADUATE
- Six complimentary invitations per student will be available for pick up in the HCC Bookstore in May 2015 or at the Graduate Get-Together on May 7, 2015. No tickets are required for guests to attend commencement.
CAPS AND GOWNS
- If you have not placed your order and would like to attend Commencement, please contact the bookstore (RCF 113) at 443-518-1400. All students participating in Commencement must wear the cap, gown and hood provided.
- Caps and gowns can be picked up at the Graduate Get-Together on May 7, between 10:30 a.m. and 2:30 p.m. After May 7, caps and gowns can be picked up in the bookstore during regular business hours.
- Caps are worn with the front point in the center of the forehead. The top of the cap is parallel to the floor, and the tassels are worn on the right until the degrees are conferred.
- Arrive between 12:15 and 1:15 p.m. for line-up.
- Hang on to the index card that you'll receive at check in! Bring the index card on stage and present it to the announcer; you will not be able to interact with the announcer, so please ensure that all information is correct on the card at the check-in table. Have a tricky name? Call 443-518-3800 and state your name 3 times slowly. We use this to practice!
- You will be handed a white tube containing a congratulatory letter as you cross the stage. Your diploma will be issued after the final evaluation of your academic record, which usually takes 6-8 weeks following the ceremony. Transcript requests will be fulfilled after your degree or certificate(s) are posted.
HONORS AND COHORT STOLES
- Honor cords and tassels will be provided for honor students at the designated honors table at the graduate check-in on Commencement day. In order to qualify for honors, a student must have a 3.5 or higher GPA during his or her entire time at HCC. Students were notified through email of their honor status.
- Students who served in the U.S. Armed Forces are provided a cord of red, white and blue to wear at Commencement. Qualified students were notified through email and phone of this special regalia. If you qualify and did not receive these communications, contact firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday, May 15.
- Stoles for cohort groups are provided by your cohort advisor or director. Please contact your cohort advisor or director with questions.
- Classic Photography is the official photographer at Commencement. Your photos will be available to view and order by visiting their website at www.classic-photo.com. Photos will be posted within 72 hours after your commencement ceremony. If you need additional help to locate your photos, call Classic Photography at 800-869-9515.
ATTIRE AND REFRESHMENTS
- Dress according to the weather forecast - this time of year is tricky! Merriweather is a hilly place - wear appropriate shoes and be prepared to stand in line for some time. (Leave the platform heels at home!)
- Please encourage your guests to bring water bottles. Each guest can bring one non-glass water bottle per person; water fountains are on site at each restroom location for refills.
- A bottle of water will be provided to each graduate during the ceremony.
- There are two entrances for the general parking area: South Entrance Road or Broken Land Parkway. Guests park in the lot and then walk the foot path to enter Merriweather; be advised that this a hilly walk. Wheelchairs and special assistance are not provided by HCC; guests are encouraged to bring their own wheelchairs and assistance to simplify the walk. (Parking map)
- Designated accessible parking is not in immediate proximity to the facility; please ensure your guests are informed.
- Guests requiring accessible parking should enter Merriweather from Little Patuxent Parkway. The Box Office entrance is about halfway between Broken Land Parkway and South Entrance Road. Following this road leads to spaces marked with accessible parking signs; parking here is very limited. There are additional spaces in a grassy area where guests with disabled parking placards can park. In order to park in an accessible space, the vehicle must display official tags or placard. (Parking map)
DROP OFF AREA
- Following the Box Office entrance road allows drivers to get close to the pavilion, drop off guests with mobility issues, turn around, and park in the general parking lot. (Parking map)
FOUL WEATHER PLAN
- Please proceed first to the graduate check-in tents. Graduates will be directed to the appropriate location in the Pavillion in case of rain or inclement weather.
Questions? Email us at email@example.com.