HOWARD COMMUNITY COLLEGE
Tuesday, May 20, 2014 at 2:00pm
Graduation will be held at Merriweather Post Pavilion on Tuesday, May 20 at 2:00pm.
APPLY TO GRADUATE
Please see your advisor if you have not applied to graduate.
Six complimentary invitations per student will be available for pick up in the HCC Bookstore in May 2014 or at the Graduation Get-Together on May 1, 2014. No tickets are required for guests to attend commencement. You may invite as many friends and family members as you wish.
CAPS AND GOWNS
Caps and gowns should be picked up either at the Graduate Get-Together or the Bookstore. After May 1, caps and gowns can be picked up at the Bookstore during regular hours.
If you have not yet ordered your cap and gown, please do so immediately after applying. You may place your order at the HCC Bookstore. There is no charge for the cap and gown. Please be advised that all students participating in the commencement ceremony must wear the cap and gown.
Caps are worn with the front point in the center of the forehead and the top of the cap parallel to the floor -- not tilted to the back of the head; the tassel is worn on the right until the degrees are conferred.
The ceremony will begin promptly at 2:00pm. Graduating students must assemble no later than 1:15pm.
- Graduates will meet at the check-in tents. College representatives will be stationed at this location to distribute name cards.
- Each student will receive a 3 x 5 namecard containing the following information: Name, Degree or Certificate, and Program of Study. When appropriate, Honors, Alpha Beta Gamma, Phi Theta Kappa, Rouse Scholar, Silas Craft Collegian, STEM, and Frederick K. Schoenbrodt Honors will also be noted. Keep this card with you. You will hand it to the announcer at the podium who will read it as you cross the stage to receive your presentation diploma.
- Graduates will be lined up alphabetically to begin the processional.
- When announced, the processional will march from the assembly area into the pavilion.
- During the course of the program, the President and Vice President of Academic Affairs will direct the graduates when to stand and sit. The Faculty Marshal will escort each row of students to the platform to receive presentation diplomas. PLEASE WATCH THE FACULTY MARSHAL FOR DIRECTION. Take your 3 x 5 name card with you to the stage.
If you or any of your guests are in need of special assistance, please call Kathy McSweeney at 443-518-4606. Handicap parking is available.
Graduates and their families may park in the Merriweather Post Pavilion parking lot located off Broken Land Parkway or Symphony Woods Road. Handicapped parking is located off the Little Patuxent Parkway entrance to the Pavilion.
Northeastern Photography will be taking pictures at both the Graduate Get-Together and Commencement. Photos of each participating graduate may be viewed online at www.partypics.com within 48 hours after commencement. The password is Howard. We encourage families to take photos of their graduate and their families before and after the ceremony.
HCC HONOR STUDENTS
To qualify as an honor graduate, you must have an overall cumulative grade point average of 3.500 or higher by the end of the winter 2013 term. If you are identified as an honor graduate, you will be notified via HCC email at the end of April. A gold honor cord and tassel will be given to you at check-in to wear during the ceremony. For information about cohort stoles, please contact your cohort coordinator or advisor.
You do not have to attend the commencement ceremony to receive your diploma. You are not officially graduated from HCC when you participate in the commencement ceremony. Your degree will be issued after the final clearance procedures are completed and the Board of Trustees officially confers degrees. This process will take approximately six to eight weeks after the ceremony. Diplomas will be mailed upon final clearance of Spring/Summer grades, and settlement of any financial obligations.
Graduates who wish to request official transcripts need to be aware that requests will be filled after clearance procedures have been completed and degrees posted. You may view your transcripts online and print an unofficial copy by using myHCC. Please note that myHCC does not show completed degrees on the unofficial transcripts.
FOUL WEATHER PLAN
Please proceed first to the graduate check-in tents. Graduates will be directed to the appropriate location in the Pavillion in case of rain or inclement weather.
For more information, contact the Office of Records, Registration and Veterans' Affairs.